Thursday 12 May 2016

Damned if you do................

After completing radiation on my right breast in 2013 with very little side effects I assumed, wrongly,that my second time, now on my left breast would be a breeze.
I expected the burns and blisters and the tiredness, that was all just a part of having radiation. This time around though my side effects were much worse than the first time. I found myself feeling very tired immediately after having radiation, I found it hard to keep my eyes open sometimes whilst still driving home. I couldn't rest or sleep as much as my body wanted me to and it was months before I got some energy back.
What I wasn't expecting was damage to my esophagus. I now have reflux. I have had episodes where I get excruciating pain in my chest. I can't swallow without pain, not even fluid. My doctor calls it spasms in the esophagus, caused by the radiation. I've just had a gastroscopy, a camera down the throat, to see how much damage has been caused to my esophagus. I will get those results in a few weeks.

This is just another side effect of breast cancer. Does it ever end?

No comments:

Post a Comment